If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Thank you email notification  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
aftersch
Beginner

Hi guys, I've searched the boards several times and could only find marginally relevant info on this question: How could you send longer email notification to people that signed your book? The guestbook admin doesn't allow anything longer than a few sentences. (you can type as much as you want but the email sent is truncated) I've read another thread that other people are having the same question and it was unanswered there. If you have any clues please let me know. Thanks!

Sam
Jared
Student

Hi, that is an easy fix for you.

You must go into the MYSQL database and go to "book_config" and then edit "notify_mes" which has a value of "varchar(150)" and change the 150 to what ever character value you wish. If you have a message that is say 600 chars long, then change to 600

good luck
[WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
Anonymous

That isn't completely true in my opinion.

VARCHAR has a limited length of 255 bytes. You have to choose BLOB or text (like the comment field) to overcome that problem.
aftersch
Beginner

Thanks Jared and nl2dav. I found that varchar does have a limit of 255 bytes. I want to know more about changing to text as you mentioned. I replaced 'varchar' with 'text' and I thought that wasn't what you mean. Can you tell me which file(s) I have to change?

Sam
Anonymous

Just change "type" varchar to "type" text and lengh value to however long you need
Anonymous

I forgot to mention that this is not done in a file, but done in the database
aftersch
Beginner

Do you mean editing the sql file? I saw a couple of 'Type=MyISAM' in the sql file, are you saying that I should change that to 'Type=text'?

This is the code:

I changed the 'varchar' above to 'text', but nothing changes. Gimme some clues pls!

Cheers,
Sam
Anonymous

try changing to LONGTEXT with no value set. This should allow you to place as much text as you need

aftersch
Beginner

Nah, I replaced that and it seemed that I need to change more things elsewhere. I checked the php script and reckon they in fact had given us a huge field box, its just the database or somewhere else need to be modified. I think during the construction of this script they intended to give webmasters a little bigger field as the current one is too small for any messages. Got suggestions or clues? post them here!

See you around!
Sam
Jared
Student

I don't no what your talking about. I just tried that on my test guestbook, and had the admin send the guest a 1456 character email. It filled the entire page of my email.

You must not have followed the directions.

The message above told you to MODIFY THE DATABASE AND NOT THE SCRIPT

you will modify the database field "notify_mes" to type "TEXT" NOT NULL default
[WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
Jared
Student

why don't you test my test guestbook and see what the message is when you get thanked for signing

here is the link

http://www.avianosaints.com/testbook/
[WWW] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
aftersch
Beginner

OK, that's what I put down in the .sql file, I think the sql file is the database, in fact I've tried both the database and the script before posting the previous message.

notify_mes TEXT(1000) NOT NULL default ''

Jared, can you just copy and paste the code you entered so I can just use that?

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum