If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Ban IP is nice, Ban the Hostname possible?  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
rblanco10

Hello, I did search for this topic, but nothing really that answered my question.

Being able to Ban the IP is great for the AGB, but what about banning host names? It seems like sometimes when I connect via dial-up modem internet connection, and try a test post to my AGB the guestbook logs the post with a host name and not an ip address.

Is there some way to block unwanted posts from people who post to the Advanced Guestbook and their post is logged with just a host name (and not IP address.)

If this topic has been covered, please just post a link to the releated post.

Thanks!
[Yahoo!]
ET
Graduate

The AG script is written in a way to display the host name from the IP - so it is still the IP that you want to block, not the host name - if you would rather change the script so that it shows only as an ip# rather than as a host name, that would be possible and probably easier than writing a script so that you can block the host name.

PS - if it is just an occasional IP that you need to ban, you could check the IP# from your server logs associated to that particular post based on time and date of the post. Usually, the server logs retain the IP numbers and don't get converted into hostname.

However, ardent spammers will spoof their IPs, so it makes it harder to ban them through this method.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

ET wrote:if you would rather change the script so that it shows only as an ip# rather than as a host name, that would be possible and probably easier than writing a script so that you can block the host name.
Also if you peformed a search you would see this has already been discussed and the modification instructions posted in this forum somewhere. It would of still been near the top but as stupi dpeople keep coming here and asking questions that have already been asked as they are to stupid to use the search function all the important posts end up pages away.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
tcjay
Beginner
[Avatar]

Is there a way to lock these posts at the top so this does not happen. I have seen other forums that do this or have an FAQ post with all the common questions.

edit; No need to make your post green and bold, Auron.
[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

It's being done now. Auron and I did not have moderator status at the time I posted that.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum