If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Questions About Guestbook Paranoia and Other Stuff  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
amber222
Graduate

Why

Why are so many people so reluctant to provide a link to their guestbooks and polls? If they are worried about being hacked, that's all the more reason to provide a link so the php experts like Carbonize and Auron can spot any problems and alert them to fix it.

I see a lot of sites that are prime targets for a hacker. Someone (JTD?) is always warning them to NEVER ENABLE HTML. Why do so many people still have html enabled?

Why can't some people see the search link in this forum? Why is it some see it but won't use it?

Why do so many people wait until they have a problem before visiting the forum? We should regularly visit the forums of all sites where we have downloaded their software. If we have a phpbb forum on our website, we should regularly visit phpbb.com and see what's happening. Same thing with all our other software programs. My host sent me a warning about the phpbb exploit, but I already knew about it because I saw it at phpbb.com.

Why are some people so quick to ask a question without looking through the list of topics?

Why do some people seem overly sensitive? You mention the word "search" and it's like you've insulted them.

Why am I bothering to write this when no one will pay any attention? There will still be someone at least once or twice a week asking how to reset their password or if the guestbook entries can be approved in advance.

Why doesn't the admin of this site admin. this site?

Why
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

We should regularly visit the forums of all sites where we have downloaded their software.
I try but thats an awful lot of forums lol. I'm actually an admin on 3 forums, including my own, and a member on several others. I rarely visit a forum until I get a problem. In fact I think my first post on here was a problem I had. JTD and I have, in the past, used Google to located hacked guestbooks which we then fixed and left a messaage for the webmasters. I have emailed a few sites using guestbook 2.2 explaining the exploit. Admitedly because I wanted them to test my patch out but I agree that people whould learn to use the damn search feature

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
JTD
Graduate

Yea it is simply amazing. As carb said we have visited alot of GB 2.2 Sites and told them about the exploits. I can probably go back and see that not even 25% of even bothered to update there guestbooks. And as far as visiting every forum for every app I use. As carb says that is alot of forums. Most times I get any and all information from these guys on nasty little hacks or virus's or exploits. http://forums.speedguide.net/index.php?

As to the why people cant figure out how to use the search feature! I have no clue. Maybe laziness. And as to the admin of this site who knows. Hopefully when carb either completely redoes the GB or makes his own version. People can just migrate to his forums for any information they need. Im amazed the admin here even bother to keep the site up since they dont seem to much care about any of the rest of it.

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

Everything I would of said has been said.

So... ditto.

And...

Happy New Year!!

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
The Critic
Beginner
[Avatar]

amber222 wrote:Why

Why can't some people see the search link in this forum? Why is it some see it but won't use it?

Search is great if you know what to search for, and in some cases doesn't it make more sense to ask the question than spend hours reading and finding nothing that helps you? And if folks are so irritated by folks that just ask instead of performing what some feel should be a "required search" why don't they just ignore the request for help? Instead of getting all snotty and asking for fees for help! Thats the kind of attitude that makes most of us newbies stop coming to formus for help. I have a piece of software that I purchased, they have a support forum, When I have a problem I don't search for the answer because I don't know what to searh for! So I hammer support and they give me the DETAILED answer I need without a lot of snotty bs!
Just my two cents

Why do so many people wait until they have a problem before visiting the forum?

Some don't know they have problems till it's too late, and as I stated above sometimes the attitude of those supposedly helping is enough to make the visitor not even register. I'm not thin skinned, but most folks are , and when forum regulars cop an attitude newcomers shy away. I am a critic on a forum and I make my living ripping new butts, and the folks that come and view know what to expect. Here they seem to get the unexpected

Why are some people so quick to ask a question without looking through the list of topics?
Gee, it must be nice to have all that knowledge stored at your fingertips, and having the TIME to scan hundereds of enteries ina data base looking for a simple answer! Isn't that what the forums are for ??? To ask Questions???? Maybe you7 need to take a break and stop reading forums, Sounds as though you want everyone to be as proficient as you are! Werew you ever a newbie??? Or did you step from the womb with mouse in one hand ankeboard in the other and your brain, consisting of one large database?

Why am I bothering to write this when no one will pay any attention? There will still be someone at least once or twice a week asking how to reset their password or if the guestbook entries can be approved in advance.
I really don't know why you wrote this, I would think that if folks asking for "detailed Help" irriated you, your choice would be to ignore their posts! Funny how that Carbonizer guy doesn't make folks feel like an idiot!

Why doesn't the admin of this site admin. this site?
Maybe the Admin does, but consider that his/her methods may not meet your approval, that doesn't make them wrong, it just makes them unsatisfactory to you, and perhaps a select few!Why

Warmest Regards Amber and a happy stress free New Year
TC
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I think you are asking really stupid questions and are not even trying then you will see me in a pissy mood.

Actually I just reread it and it's down to my typing to fast as usual (thats ADD for you). It should of said
IF I think you are asking really stupid questions and are not even trying then you will see me in a pissy mood

Carbonize

get Lazarus
The Critic
Beginner
[Avatar]

Carbonize wrote:
The Critic wrote:Funny how that Carbonizer guy doesn't make folks feel like an idiot!
I think you are asking really stupid questions and are not even trying then you will see me in a pissy mood.

I wasn't going to reply tro this...but I just had too

Ok I understand the concept and the irritation factor! But look closely at what you just wrote!!!

"you think" " Stupid questions" " Not even trying"

you think =your perception of any given thought process

Stupid questions = No such thing the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. in this reference the question may and usually perfectly valid in the eyes of the individual asking the query. Perhaps you label it stupid because you know the answer and feel they should have the same mental ability as you have. Again this is your perceived notion and that you of course you are entitled too, but doesn't make it correct

Not even trying = Again another case of "your perception, your opinion"
How can you or anyone else for that matter possibly know how hard an individual struggles in their mind to finf the solution they need or are asking for hep with? How can you ??? I certainly can't and while I'm not even close to being a savant I am certainly not brainless
Though there are some that would gladly argue the point.

Ok Ok OK Enough ! I've stated my case, made my points and anyone with a modicum of intelligence will see that my logic is sound and unshakeable! rofl

In Summary:

When someone asks for help, and you have taken on the position of wanting to help, do so with out crushing what little self esteem the individual might have left in their lives, do so with the respect you would want to be accorded to yourselves, do so with the knowledge you have gained because you desire to share that knowledge, not for personal grandizement, but because you genuinely desire to be helpful.

And if you still don't understand my tirades it's ok, Just ignore me !

Oh and one more very important thing................

Do all of the above
But do it without that idiotic HUGE RED TYPE

Thanks again Carbonizer
Warmest Regards
TC
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Ok thats weird because thats not what I posted. I said you should try asking me stupid questions to which the answers are simple and see how pissy I get.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
JTD
Graduate

Ok how about HUGE PURPLE TYPE

The Critic
Beginner
[Avatar]

Carbonize wrote:Ok thats weird because thats not what I posted. I said you should try asking me stupid questions to which the answers are simple and see how pissy I get.

I just hit the quote button and it copied what was there, then I took the 3 phrases from your quote and replied to them
I guess the real questionj is :

Are my observations correct

And we could use a spell checker too
Amazing that was all JTD could find to reply with

Warmest regards
TC
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Actually I just reread it and it's down to my typing to fast as usual (thats ADD for you). It should of said
IF I think you are asking really stupid questions and are not even trying then you will see me in a pissy mood

Carbonize

get Lazarus
The Critic
Beginner
[Avatar]

Carbonize wrote:

Yes I had assumed that was what you meant to type ( isn't ADD wonderful?) thats why I responded in the manner I did selecting the sections I did
Warmest regards
TC
Auron
Expert
[Avatar]

The Critic wrote:Why can't some people see the search link in this forum? Why is it some see it but won't use it?

[b][i][color=blue]Search is great if you know what to search for, and in some cases doesn't it make more sense to ask the question than spend hours reading and finding nothing that helps you?

They know what to search for, coz they have a problem.

We've answered all the common questions a least a hundred times if not more.
So posts and threads should be easy to find.

We also don't wanna waste time with repeated questions or stupid prats like you!

Visit my site @ www.ragnaru.com
Adv. Poll Install Guide NOW BACK ONLINE! (And also rather out of date I would of thought)
[Email] [WWW]
amber222
Graduate

JTD wrote:Ok how about HUGE PURPLE TYPE

JTD, Love it!

See what happens! You go offline for a few days and miss the party.

Wow, I had no idea I was going to start all this! That certainly wasn't my intention. BTW, I never said anything about being irritated. I just asked some questions. I guess I am not allowed to ask any questions.

This ought to really piss you off:

Tip: If your question is about your password, search for password.
JTD
Graduate

amber222 wrote:
JTD wrote:Ok how about HUGE PURPLE TYPE

JTD, Love it!

See what happens! You go offline for a few days and miss the party.

Wow, I had no idea I was going to start all this! That certainly wasn't my intention. BTW, I never said anything about being irritated. I just asked some questions. I guess I am not allowed to ask any questions.

This ought to really piss you off:

Tip: If your question is about your password, search for password.

HUGE PURPLE TYPE

Thanks Amber. Yea some people here just have really thin skins I guess.

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum