If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: ET
Forum Index » Profile for ET » Messages posted by ET
Okay - I went back to the script to look -

As Carbonize described above

could be modified as follows to totally force aaaallll emails to come directly off your server as represented by your site and bypassing the email address of the visitor from being entered into the sender portion.

Save the original file before making any changes like this just to be on the safe side, but I'm fairly certain that will force the script to use only one sender address from your guestbook and it should be acceptable to AOL.

Hoping that helps.
LSander wrote:I am still wrestling with this. ET's suggestion seemed like a good one, but it didn't work. I CAN get post notifications forwarded to my Comcast accounts, but not to AOL (and I am NOT interested in moving my email away from AOL--there are too many advantages there).

---

If I knew where to plug it in, I'd be willing to plug in one address that these notification emails always say they are from.

I haven't had that problem with AOL blocking it, but it may be that my webhost is set up in a way that AOL allows through their filter. Yep, like Carbonize suggests, change the portion add.entry.php to force it to use an email address with your domain name. Also, I'm thinking that there is another spot that you will want to change - let me go look at the script again to see where the script picks up the email addresses that the visitor actually plugs in so that you might be able to change that too.
Thanks Carbonize - I should have picked up on that sooner... LOL
Anonymous wrote:

Is there anyway to prevent such??

I don't know - I can't find your guest book - the language is not something I understand on your site and you don't have it set up in a way that is intutive for me to find.

If you have version 2.2 - make certain to use the patch to fix the exploitable hole that allows backdoor access to the admin.

And as Carbonize suggests, turn off HTML if you have it enabled on your guest book - perhaps password your comments - and as I had suggested in the other thread add those "words" to the curse words portion in the admin section to prevent people from even typing them into your guestbook.

You can do these things if you have 2.2 or 2.3.1 versions of the guestbook.
LSander wrote:I'm having trouble getting notification of new posts via email. The guestbook seems to be sending them out OK, but I only sometimes get them.

I want to get my notifications at a specific AOL email account, but they just won't go there. It doesn't matter what AOL account I set up as the webmaster email address, NOTHING gets through to the AOL account.

I have several comcast.net email accounts, and they can receive notifications with no problem. But when I set them up to forward all mail to one of my AOL accounts, they refuse to forward my guestbook notifications to any AOL account. Messages from other sources are forwarded with no problem.

It seems like maybe AOL just doesn't like guestbook mail. Any info on this? Any suggestions?

If your webhost allows you to set up email accounts directly, create a email account i.e. guestbook@yourdomainname.com then instruct all email to guestbook@yourdomainname.com to be forwarded to your aol account.

The AOL filter is set up to block email addresses that do not originate upon the server that the sending email address has - so if your guest has entered their email address, the script enters that as the sender, when in truth, it is your webhost's server that is the sender - AOL checks these and blocks them when sender does not match up with server.

So if you create an email account through your site, then direct all guestbook email through the guestbook admin to go that email account which you have subsequently redirected to your AOL address, you receive the forwarded version of the email - AOL usually (USUALLY) does not block those.

Hoping that is not toooo confusing - it is the only way I have found to work around the AOL filter.
THis link will take you to a thread where this happened and how to get into the database to remove it.

http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14274#14274
gozzy wrote:and then I get this :S

Method Not Allowed
The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /links/cgi-bin/links.pl.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.pictuning.nl Port 80

The frustrating thing about cgi/perl programming is that the errors do not describe what the actual problem might be. Method POST not allowed could mean that you don't have the script chmod correctly or it could mean that you don't have the correct identifying information between the form and the script.

If you wrote the script yourself, then we probably won't be able to help you out very much. If you are using the FFA links script from this site, then I might be able to help if given enough information to be able to comprehend what you have and have not accomplished with the installation.
Not certain how well these instructions work by Jam'n

http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7369#7369

Although it does look like there was an upset person within the thread - beware of the cursing....
Okay - script has been emailed, for the last time....
Anonymous wrote:Ok, now it finally seems to work correctly.
There are some new Q's I have:
Is it possible to rebuild the script to show weekly/ monthly hits instead of daily hits?
It is not worth the effort on my part to rewrite this script for that purpose. for that type of information, I use the perl script available from this site called "access stats" - but it requires a cgi-bin

Could you try to email the the modification you have made

I sure can try.

Also, I have get myself a mysql database, and I wondered:

If I manage to install the script running with mysql, will there be a logfile where I can see total hits from day one,
It would start from the point in which you created the tables and converted the traffic to be recorded in the database. However, you could get into your database to modify/look at the total number v. daily number just like you can currently do in the total_visits.txt and the daily.txt files.

I ask this because I want to see the data, but avoid log onto my computer and connect to internet every day just for see this data.
Like stated above, the access stats will allow you to check the information in this manner and it can work in conjunction with the daily counter without any problems.

But, I guess, another way to do this, would be to set an laaaarge value for the block time? If I set block time to one year, would ip.txt contain all ip's, host's and times from the last year?
You could try, but it would kinda defeat its purpose if several different visitors visited your site from the same IP.... The access stats script would do a much better job for you in that area. If you need to stay with php, then I'm betting that there are some php scripts out there that do the same thing.

Do you have any site you recommend for setting up this script to work with mysql, eventually, any site where I can learn to create the tables i need etc.?
I don't know of any sites - I learned by a few costly mistakes on how to create tables - A suggestion would be to use google.com with the keywords - prepare mysql database tables
Carbonize is better at this type of problem, but I'll give it a stab....

Did you include (guestbook/comment.php) in your default page inclusions?

The frame-like setup seems to be the problem....

With the current set up, it needs to connect up to
as opposed to

from within that guestbook comment function.
Yay! Success after a challenge is always a great high

Laura wrote:
Now that I'm in the Admin console,
I'm not sure what to add in the imput boxes (or whatever you call them).

"title" is that the Title of the Home page (FFA site)
or for each individual page?

"entry id" Not a clue as to what that is

"selected page" don't know what to do with that (it has 'default" in it)

"action" not sure what to do with that

"password" need to change it

"jump to pages" I know it takes you to those FFA pages

Again, thank you very much!
I couldn't have asked for better support!

Laura

Glad to be able to help you and that you were able to keep your cool enough to get this far.

Most of the admin section will make more sense once you begin to get links added to your links pages. The boxes will fill in as you have something to work with. And to delete any of the links, there is a security factor in that you need to type in your password again.

Have fun with your new script
Anonymous wrote:Also when I did a search in the archive, I saw that in one of your previous posts, you wrote about another script modification you had made at the animated counter, and here your script enabled the F5 refresh key function which allows users to increase the counter all the time.
I would be very glad if you can send me that script too!

Hoping it all helps -

Okay - the daily counter script is in the mail.

I did not write any mods for the animated counter so I can't help you there.

Good luck

PS - update - the email was returned to me as undeliverable to that address.
The zip file went through my virus scan before being sent - so I guess your end has blocked is as suspect.... sorry!
Okay - let's see if we can break this down for you.

In the top portion where you see a lot of ### that is the "explain" portion of the script - Take note - if a line begins with # in perl or cgi, that is a comment line similar to // in php or javascript. (***Exception to this is the very top line with the #!/usr/.... - that is an instruction line required for perl and cgi)

So these lines are just examples.

Here is where you begin to personalize the script for your site

will be
You ask if it needs a trailing / - No, do not include a trailing /

then

would become

with "links" being the directory where you are putting your FFA files

Now this is where most people get confused - it is not www.nameofyoursite.com it is the document_root of your site and it is not trying to get you to your cgi-bin - it is the root to your html pages.

Run a search on the forum to find out more about this document root and how to find it if you don't know what it is for your site - I can create an easy php or a perl page for you to find it, if you still need help with it.

Next, this provides the "entry" page for your FFA links page after a new link is added - you can choose any of the html pages in the batch (I want to point out that the ffa- is important but you can change the business.html names of the pages - but there are extra things that also need to be done to match everything up)

This is left just the way it is - it the text file contained in your links directory used for counting/sorting the sites as they add their links.

And last -
7) on the addlink html page
is it : action="http://localhost/cgi-bin/links.pl

or do I change it to:
http://mysite.com/cgi-bin/links.pl

Yep, you want to tell the form where to find your perl program.

One last note - be sure to change 123 to a new password (keeping the quotes) for your own security.

That should get you going
When you included the directory path, did you also include that path for your inclusion at the top of each page that you want the counter to use for counting?

I wrote up a basic installation page that should help to explain the installation process. Let me know if you continue to have problems after reading / following those instructions.

http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14438#14438

Forum Index » Profile for ET » Messages posted by ET
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum