If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: ET
Forum Index » Profile for ET » Messages posted by ET
Read-me - Installation for Daily Counter 1.1
(Does Not Include MySQL set-up Instructions)

1) Create a directory folder on your webserver/website for the daily counter

2) Edit config.inc.php
a) If using MySQL database - change this line

b) If using Flat Files - leave this line

c) Edit the following lines if needed

d) Add this information only if using MySQL

3) Upload the following files into that new directory:

config.inc.php
counter.class.php
demo.php
visitor.php (CHMOD 755)

+ upload the following if using flat files for records
daily.txt (CHMOD 666)
total_visits.txt (CHMOD 666)
ip.txt (CHMOD 666)

OR upload the following if using MySQL for records
create_tbl.php
mysql.class.php

4) Visit your demo page to check for functioning

5) To pull the counter into your pages, you will need to use pages with .php extensions (or check for the Mods I have posted on the forum for html pages)

6) Include the following code into the very top of your pages that you want the daily counter to show up (Look at how the demo.php is set up for a visual example)

7) Include the following into your pages where you want
the daily counter to be displayed: (Use the Demo Page as your example

Use the Search Engine to check the forum for Daily Counter Modifications
Okay.... chmod to 755 (don't leave at 777)

the http://yoursite.com/cgi-bin/links.pl is only for the form action portion of the add a site page

To actually get inside of your script (admin) you need
typed into the URL From there you type in the password you choose for your site.

file has no execute permission
would mean that you have not set the chmod correctly. rwxr-xr-x

the very first line sometimes needs to be

I peeked inside your links directory and noticed that there are instructions for a modified version of the ffa-links instructing you to call it cgi and using ?mode=admin_menu for the admin portion - so if you downloaded a modified version of the original FFALinks, then it may be that you need to contact the person who made the mods since I will not know what mods were done to the script....

And a friendly suggestion, you might want to edit out your url out of your post when you get done with getting help here so that you are not sending an open invitation to hackers....
Lenyman wrote:
THANKS ET
(I hope you can go home jeje)

De nada - Puedo volver en casa en tiempo - en el tiempo. jeje
Okay - I just checked the current dailycounter download and it still does not contain the mod to fix the new day reset. The problem involves the manner that he has the count on the line after the date in the daily.txt and the inability to remove the entire line, so it only replaces the first number in the sequence to 1 - that's fine if you never have more than 9 people visit your site so if you had 99 visitors for the day, the new day would start with 19 or 375 visitors for the day, the new day would start with 175, etc.

My mod wipes out the entire file contents of daily.txt at midnight to start all over.
Anonymous wrote:
Now, it looks like the script are installed correctly at my site, the table showing total visits, date and visitors today shows up. BUT: when I use the visitors link to see the table containing iformation about visitors IP adress, time and hostname, there is som malfunctions:
The table shows up in the 420*210 size. BUT:
The visitors actual time of visit, ip adr. and host isnt there, only the pre-set titles of the columns ("time, ipadress, host").
So why doesnt the program output the values of the visitors time, ip.adr and host? (I dont get error notices)

I also have another Q:
What do you recommend: MySQL or flatfiles? Whats the advantages and drawbacks with both of them?

As i understand from the file visitors.php, the file creates a file called logfile if you dont use mysql, is that right? Is this a txt file?
What will it contain?: all times, ip adress and host from todays visits, or all visits from day one or none of these suggestions?
Now I use flatfiles.

You said: "One major problem with the daily counter using the txt files is the fact that it will not reset back to "1" at the beginning of the new day - I have written a fix for that"
I believe I need this fix?

Re: So why doesnt the program output the values of the visitors time, ip.adr and host?

I am assuming that you have the visitor.php and the flat files in the same directory? Make certain that you have the correct file paths typed in for the /* textfile settings */ of the config.inc.php - if you have the visitor.php and the text files all in the same directory, it should pull it right up. If you do not have the visitor.php in the same directory, it needs the correct path information typed into the config.inc.php

What do you recommend: MySQL or flatfiles? Whats the advantages and drawbacks with both of them?
If you get under 1000 hits per day on your site, the flat files are fine The perks with flatfiles is that they are easy to set up and get running - The drawback is that you might miss 5 or 10 counts during the day if two visits hit the site at the exact same time. The perks with MySQL is the speed - the drawbacks are the confusion of creating the tables and making certain that it is working correctly.

As i understand from the file visitors.php, the file creates a file called logfile if you dont use mysql, is that right
The logfile for the flat files is the "ip.txt" file - it writes the data into the file for the amount of time you have requested in the config.inc.php -
for example the above time block (1800) holds it in the file for 30 minutes - and you can see the other numbers listed in my example - the time is based on the total number of seconds.

I believe I need this fix?
The fix is kinda complex in that it involves removing some portions of the original script and inserting the mod elsewhere on the page - so it is not one I can just post on here and feel comfortable that people would understand - I can email it to you -

PS - I had emailed the fixed script to the author (Chi Kien Uong) a month ago, but I don't think he has actually added the mod to the script - I'll double check real quick - if I see it changed in the current download - I'll let you know.
Lenyman wrote:Ok..... i will try it tomorrow.

This link is a screenshot of what im talking about. Maybe this way you can understand me.

Link: Look the arrow

I just want: the title "Your Message" and the blank field where people can type.

Ooooh, I didn't realize that was an automatic feature - I use 2.2 and that's not part of the installation. Sorry for the confusion - Okay - up to speed here - you need to go into templates/form.php

(I would recommend saving the original in a file someplace just in case)
Then edit the one you want to use with your guestbook

Cut/remove
then cut/remove

and save.
Okay - so it is the "link" to the smilies pop-up page that you want removed?

The easiest way to keep people from clicking on that link is to go into your language files lang/english.php (or the language you are using)
scroll down on the page to and save it as

That is the quickest way to remove the link without messing with the templates....

If you are talking about pre-existing smilies (already saved in the database) you will need to go into your database to modify the entries that have the smilies coded into the current messages.
If you want to use the flat files - don't fill in the MySQL database information - it can use flat files if you would rather use flat files.

There are some other instructions on Daily Counter that I have added on the forum here if you run a search.

One major problem with the daily counter using the txt files is the fact that it will not reset back to "1" at the beginning of the new day - I have written a fix for that.

If you continue to have problems with the script after running a search for daily count, let me know if you are getting any error notices and what they are.
Lenyman wrote:Hi. Sorry my english.

Im wondering how remove Emoticons (smilies) in the "sign page" (in the Message field).
I just want text for my guestbook.

Thanks!!

Not sure what you have tried - did you try to disable the smilies via admin page under "General Settings" - > General Option -> Smilies -> Disable Smilies - Click that radio button.....

Have you done that?
Anonymous wrote:As ET suggested I changed the URL but it didn't help anything. And to Carbonize- I don't know what BASE_URL means and I don't know how to edit anything anyway. If you had "click by click" instructions I could probably do it. Thanks for your replies.
~cinder

My guess is that the frames around the guestbook confuses the path.

http://www.proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13890#13890 explains how to find the Base_Url and to change it.
Carbonize wrote:It's been 6 hours and that site is still not patched.

ummmmmm..... guess you won't be surprised if asked to fix another attack there....
julie wrote:wow how did you fix it?? lol

what happens if it happens to my other clients guestbooks?

Carbonize fixed it the same way it got hacked - through the exploit - As Auron points out, the sooner you patch it, the sooner the exploit is closed up. If you take the time to read through other "i've been hacked" posts on this board, you will notice that some have to get hacked 2 - 3 times before they finally figure out that the hackers will keep coming back time and time again - sometimes every few hours.
the reports at security focus does not list v1.5 having any current vulnerabilities. That's no guarantee, but most likely, since it is not the popular guestbook on the block, no concerted efforts are being made to hack it....
Cinder wrote:Just tried a tiny picture and it still won't upload. I have a max. of 600k and 320 x 80 as a border width and height. If I set this border ratio any larger it totally blows up previous thumbnails way too large. And even upon trying to set it higher it still won't upload a new picture. I have checked "create thumbnails" and set the minimum file size at 12kb.
Thanks for replying.

I have a think here on your page talkshit.html

for Click Me link - use the complete url - http://www.yoursite.com/guestbook/index.php instead of just http://yoursite.com/guestbook/

After you change it, let us know if it helps....
Carbonize wrote:One you are in the admin section you can use the templates page to view any file on the server. You cannot edit them though unless they have been CHMOD'd to 777.

hmmmmm.... maybe your server is set up a little differently than mine? Once I'm inside the admin section on the templates page, pages can be edited from admin if CHMOD is 777 OR 666 - so that was why I recommended to Torsten that the files CHMOD be 644 for his pages. But at this point, we don't know whether the hacker had access to his 2.3.1 version Admin or not.... Maybe we'll find out at a later time....

Forum Index » Profile for ET » Messages posted by ET
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum